Gluten Free Vanilla Wacky Cake is a traditional wacky cake made gluten free!
Have you ever heard of a Wacky Cake? You might have heard it called Crazy Cake, Depression Cake, or WWII cake. There are many names for this same basic cake.
It is a simple cake with no butter, no eggs, and no milk. It is inexpensive to make using ingredients that you have on hand.
A normal Wacky Cake is not gluten free, but it is easy to make gluten free with this Gluten Free Vanilla Wacky Cake recipe.
A Wacky Cake is not your typical cake. It is not fancy and it usually doesn’t have a frosting on it.
The recipe I am sharing today can be made as a plain Vanilla Wacky Cake or you can stir in some chocolate chips for a Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Wacky Cake.
Why Is It Called Wacky Cake or Crazy Cake?
It got its name from the fact that it is not your typical cake. It doesn’t contain milk, eggs, or butter. It has vinegar in it which most cakes don’t have in them.
The traditional way to mix this cake is very different than your normal cake. Instead of beating the ingredients together in a bowl, you make this all in the pan that you bake it in.
What Is Wacky Cake?
Wacky Cake is simply a basic cake with no eggs, butter, or milk. It is inexpensive to make with ingredients that you almost always have on hand.
How Do I Make Wacky Cake Gluten Free?
It is easy to make gluten free by using a gluten free flour blend. That is basically all I did to change the traditional Wacky Cake to a Gluten Free Wacky Cake. I use Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Blend, but I am sure other gluten free blends would work as well.
- 1 1/2 cups Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 gluten free flour blend or another gf flour blend
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup gluten free chocolate chips, optional but good
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 8x8 pan.
- There are two ways to mix this in 8x8 square pan, or a mixing bowl. The original way has you mix it in the pan. I find that I can mix it together better in a bowl. I don't mind washing the bowl. Make it however you want.
- In an 8x8 pan or mixing bowl combine gluten free flour blend, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Make three depressions in the flour mixture, one larger depression and two small ones.
- Pour oil in the larger one. Pour vinegar and vanilla in the smaller ones.
- Pour water over all.
- Stir all together and mix until smooth.
- Stir in chocolate chips if using.
- If mixing in a bowl spread batter into 8x8 pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Let cool and cut into pieces.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 351Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 261mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 2gSugar: 33gProtein: 4g