Gluten Free Mexican Cornbread is a great side to serve with gluten free soup or chili.
Is cornbread gluten free?
Most cornbread is not gluten free unless you use gluten free flour and/or gluten free cornmeal. Cornbread can easily be made gluten free though with gluten free flours and gluten free cornmeal.
Is cornmeal gluten free?
Corn is gluten free, but because of cross contamination, not all cornmeal is gluten free. To be safe always use cornmeal that is labeled gluten free.
What is Mexican cornbread?
Mexican cornbread is simply cornbread with peppers or seasonings added to make it spicy. It also often contains cheese.
This gluten free Mexican cornbread contains green chilies and cheese.
What do you serve with gluten free cornbread?
- Gluten Free Taco Soup
- Crock Pot Chicken Chili ( read labels to be sure the ingredients are gf)
- Slow Cooked Chili without Beans
- Taco Soup without Beans
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 - 8.25 ounce can creamed corn ( be sure it is gluten free)
- 1 - 4 ounce can chopped green chilis
- 1 cup gluten free cornmeal
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 gluten free flour blend
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large bowl combine cheese, buttermilk, oil, eggs, corn, and chilis. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine gluten free cornmeal, gluten free flour blend, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir dry ingredients into the wet mixture. Stir just until combined.
- Spread into a cast iron pan or a greased 8x8 pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
This recipe was tested with Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour blends. Other gluten free blends may work, but I have not tried them.
As always read labels on all ingredients to make sure that they are gluten free.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 222Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 370mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 7g