Did you know that homemade tomato soup is easy to make gluten-free with this simple tomato soup recipe?
I have been making homemade tomato soup for years. It is so easy to make and it tastes so much better than the can of tomato soup.
Is tomato soup gluten-free?
Most canned tomato soup is not gluten-free. There may be a few brands that are, but the majority of them are not.
That famous brand that many people grew up eating is not. That is right. Campbell’s tomato soup is not gluten-free.
Homemade Tomato Soup
So what do you do when you love tomato soup, but need to eat gluten-free? You make it homemade.
I have been making homemade tomato soup since before I went gluten-free. It has so much more flavor than the stuff in the can.
Once I went gluten-free I was glad that I already knew how to make it my homemade.
How to make it gluten free?
The main ingredient in homemade tomato soup that needs to be gluten-free is the broth.
You can use homemade broth or you can use store brought broth. If you use store bought just read labels. Most broths are gluten-free, but not all.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is homemade tomato soup dairy free?
It depends on the recipe and how it is made. I like to add a little dairy to my homemade tomato soup to make it creamy, but you don’t have to.
You can also make dairy-free tomato soup creamy by adding a little bit of diary-free milk alternative. This is what I do to make creamy dairy-free tomato soup.
Can you freeze tomato soup?
Yes, tomato soup freezes well. The texture changes slightly, but just stir it well after defrosting it and it will be fine.
- canned tomatoes
- chicken broth
- optional: milk, cream, or 1/2 and 1/2
- salt and pepper
Need a gluten free bread recipe to serve with your soup?
- Gluten-Free Bread without Yeast
- Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread
- My favorite gluten free bread mix – Pamela’s Gluten-Free Bread Mix
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 28 ounce can of tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups gluten free chicken broth or homemade chicken broth
- optional for creamy tomato soup - ½ cup milk ( cream or 1/2 and 1/2 works too for creamier version )
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place butter and oil in a large pan or stockpot.
- Heat over medium heat until the butter is melted.
- Add onion and cook until onion is lightly browned. About 3-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Then add tomatoes and stock.
- Simmer 10 minutes.
- Puree in blender or use an immersion blender to puree. If using a blender let cool slightly and be careful putting hot liquids in the blender.)
- Add milk if using.
- Serve and enjoy
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 140Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 826mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 4g
Nutritional values are approxomite and aren't always accurate.