Vanilla pudding is easy to make gluten free with this Gluten Free Vanilla Pudding recipe.
Pudding is one of my favorite easy gluten free desserts to make because it is normal food that is gluten free.
Homemade Vanilla Pudding
Have you ever made homemade pudding? It is so easy to make using just a few basic ingredients.
It also tastes so much better than the box of mix or the premade cups of pudding that you can buy at the store.
Homemade pudding lets you control the ingredients so it is easy to make sure that it is gluten free.
Is pudding gluten free?
Most pudding is gluten free but not all. It depends on what type of ingredients are used to make the pudding thick.
Most homemade puddings use cornstarch as the thickener. Some recipes use flour, so those would not be gluten free. But recipes like the gluten free vanilla pudding recipe that I am sharing or my gluten free chocolate pudding recipe are both gluten free since they use cornstarch to thicken them.
Is Kraft Jell-o Instant Pudding gluten free?
Jell-O Instant pudding is not labeled as gluten free, but there are no gluten containing ingredients in it so in general it is considered gluten free. Always read labels though to make sure that your box of pudding or pudding cup is gluten free.
Can I make pudding dairy free?
Most pudding, including this gluten free vanilla pudding recipe, will work with a dairy free substitute. My daughter eats dairy free and my favorite dairy free substitute to use when I make homemade pudding for her is coconut milk. Not the kind in a can, but the beverage kind. Other milk substitutes will work in homemade pudding though.
Instead of butter, use a little bit of coconut oil or a butter substitute.
- cream or half and half
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup cream or half and half (both work cream makes it richer)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstach
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a pan combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Whisk in milk and cream. (or half and half).
- Cook on medium to medium-high heat, continuing to whisk.
- Continue whisking and cook until the mixture starts to boil and thicken.
- As soon as the mixture boils reduce heat to low.
- Continue stirring until the mixture thickens. This will take about 3 more minutes. It will thicken more as it cools, but you do want it to be a pudding-like texture.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and butter. Stir until the butter is melted and well combined.
- Pour mixture into individual-sized bowls or into a large bowl.
- Serve warm or cover with plastic wrap pressed directly on pudding to prevent a skin from forming on the top. Refrigerate until serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 264Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 96mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 0gSugar: 27gProtein: 3g
Nutritional values are approxomite and aren't always accurate.