Apple cake is a classic old fashioned dessert and you can make it gluten free with this Gluten Free Apple Cake Recipe. I took my mom’s classic apple cake and made it gluten free .
I love apple cake, especially during the fall. Apples and fall just go together. In reality, thought I make this cake all year long.
This is one of my favorite desserts to serve company because it is so good that no one can tell that it is gluten free. The taste and texture are amazing.
If you love apple recipes this is a must try!
Can I use a gluten free flour blend?
In many recipes, I prefer to use only individual gluten free flours because it makes the recipe so much better.
For this gluten-free apple cake recipe, I have used both Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend and King Arthur’s Measure for Measure Gluten Free Blend and they work great too.
Other gluten free flour blends, may work, but I have only tested the recipe with those two blends.
If you want to use the individual flours in place of the gluten free blend they are listed in the notes on the recipe.
- Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Blend – see note in the recipe.
- baking soda
- brown sugar
- buttermilk (or sour milk by using milk and vinegar and let sit for a few minutes to sour)
- white sugar
- 2 1/2 cups Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Blend - see note below
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup oil
- 1 cup buttermilk (or sour milk by using 1 cup milk and add 1 teaspoon of vinegar and let sit for a few minutes to sour)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups finely diced apples
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt, brown sugar, egg, oil, sour milk, and vanilla. Mix by hand until well combined.
- Stir in diced apples and cinnamon.
- Spread into a greased 9×13 pan.
- In a small bowl combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over cake batter.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
For a gluten free version I have tested this with both Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten Free Flour blend and King Arthur's Measure for Measure Flour blend. Other blends may work, but those are the two that I have tested this recipe with.
To use gluten free flours in place of the gluten free flour blend use:
- 1 1/2 cups rice flour
- 1/2 cup sweet rice flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 186Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 209mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1gSugar: 26gProtein: 1g
Nutritional values are approxomite and aren't always accurate.